About 1820, the village became known as Forktown, because it was located at the fork of two roads which were used by stage coaches traveling north and south. The stage coach route originated in Accomac, Virginia and continued to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The stage coaches would stop at Forktown, change horses and continue on their way.
Fruitland City Hall is now at the site of this historic location. When the railroad arrived at the conclusion of the Civil War more development shifted to the area of the railroad. In 1873, the name of the town was changed to Fruitland because of the large number of fruits growing and being harvested in the area.
Fruitland was not incorporated until 1947 when the population began to expand rapidly because of its closeness to Salisbury.The Fruitland logo incorporates the holly on each side. That is because the holly tree is native to the moist woods of Somerset, Worcester, Wicomico and Dorchester Counties. Fruitland held the first (and largest) holly auction every year for three days in December, from the late 1890s until December 1968. The demand for homemade wreaths decreased as artificial wreaths were manufactured. Besides holly, mistletoe was also sold by the bushel basket at the auctions. Wreaths were sold and shipped to brokers in Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington, DC, but sometimes were shipped as far west as Chicago.